We believe that there is nothing more fundamental than having somewhere affordable, accessible, secure, and safe to live.
We know that when you don’t have somewhere to live or living in inadequate housing, this has a flow on effect to all parts of your life. It effects your physical and mental health, ability to find and keep a job, and build a social network in your communities.
We believe the ability to choose where and with whom one lives is a basic human right.
We believe that our Four Principles for Inclusive Housing – Rights, Inclusion, Choice and Control are key to drive change in practice, services, design, policy and legislation.
Submissions and consultations
Ensuring people with disability have a voice on issues that affect them is at the heart of what we do.
Our members experience multiple issues when using housing services. We know that people with disability must be part of the solution. They should be actively involved in the design, conduct and evaluation of the housing system.
In the past we have consulted with members to make submissions about:
- QDN Submission Home and Living 2021
- QDN Submission Consultation Regulatory Impact Statement: Proposal to include minimum accessibility standards for housing in the National Construction Code 2020
- Building Better Homes Campaign Feb 2021
- Make Renting Fair in Queensland May 2021
- Renting in Queensland, December 2019
- Australian Building Codes Board’s Accessible Housing Options Paper, November 2018
- Department of Housing 10-year Housing Strategy QDN Submission July 2016
- QDN Housing Vision and Principles Feb 2016 (Accessible Version)
- QDN Discussion Paper - Working Together for Better Housing and Sustainable Communities - March 2016 or Easy Read Version
“We live, learn and earn in our community. We need to be able to live in our community. We need accessible housing. It’s about the whole community. It’s about living with people.”
- ABC News story – The impact of COVID-19 on people with disabilities
- Just announced – COVID-19 Webinar for People with Disability TOMORROW Thursday 20 January
- QDN Member – COVID-19 Update
- It is an important time to get your COVID-19 vaccinations or booster doses.
- Supporting members in affected Fraser Coast and Gympie Local Government areas during this time