Targeted Outreach Project
Queenslanders with Disability Network (QDN) and our project partners QCOSS, ADA Australia and the Queensland Government, are helping more eligible Queenslanders with disability join the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) and experience the benefits of the scheme through the Targeted Outreach Project.
What is the Targeted Outreach Project?
The Targeted Outreach Project is helping more people with disability to:
- understand how the NDIS can provide access to the supports they need
- access free and practical individual support to apply for and access the NDIS through the dedicated regional Assessment and Referral Team (ART).
What is the Assessment and Referral Team (ART)?
ART has a small, multidisciplinary team in the Department of Seniors, Disability Services and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Partnerships who provide intensive case management to support people with disability to navigate the NDIS access process from start to finish. The following NDIS application support is available:
- collecting and preparing information
- filling out and sending NDIS forms
- discussing disability-related needs with doctors and specialists
- providing functional assessments where needed
- keeping track of the NDIS Access Request until the process is finished.
Who are the Local Champions?
As part of the Targeted Outreach Project, our Local Champions are working in their communities to help more people join the NDIS. Our Local Champions help people with disability to:
- Learn more about the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
- Decide if the NDIS is for them and how it can support them
- Connect with the Targeted Outreach Project team, who can link them to free assistance to access the NDIS through the Assessment and Referral Team (ART).
To view the Local Champions sharing their lived experiences of being on the NDIS and the benefits of being on the scheme, please visit the Targeted Outreach Project Local Champions page.
The Targeted Outreach Project is currently being delivered across the following local government areas:
- Townsville (Local Government Area only)
- Bundaberg (Local Government Area only)
- Central Queensland, from Rockhampton to the borders (including Banana, Barcaldine, Barcoo, Blackall-Tambo, Central Highlands, Diamantina, Gladstone, Livingstone, Longreach, Winton and Woorabinda)
- South West region, from Toowoomba to the borders (including Balonne, Bulloo, Goondiwindi, Maranoa, Murweh, Paroo, Quilpie, Southern and Western Downs).
- Cairns (including Mareeba, Cassowary Coast, Douglas, Cook, Torres, Tablelands, Hinchinbrook, Etheridge, Weipa)
- Mackay (including Whitsunday region, Charters Towers, Isaac, Flinders, Burdekin)
- Mount Isa (including Cloncurry, McKinlay, Richmond, Croydon, Burke, Boulia, Carpentaria)
This is a Queensland-wide project until June 2022. Further locations across Queensland will be progressively rolled out during 2021 and 2022.
Who to contact
If you or someone you support needs help connecting with ART and starting the NDIS application process, the Targeted Outreach Project team is available to help.
This project has been made available through collaboration between the Queensland and Commonwealth Governments.