QDN is a member organisation and we love to hear stories from our members and we share them here.
This months Story Highlight
Brendon wanted to get involved in this consultation process because he believes “it is an important part of redesigning the network and will create easier access in and out of the stations.” QDN Member
Rob was relieved — and a little bit excited — to hear about the changes recently proposed in Queensland’s tenancy laws. ‘These reforms are pretty overdue’, he said. ‘There haven’t really been any major updates since the early ‘90s. I’m so glad they’re making these changes. It makes me feel much more positive about being able to rent somewhere long-term."
Good things happen when a QDN Peer Support Group and local councillor come together
The Brisbane North Peer Support Group has been leading change in their Nundah community. The peer led group for people with disability invited Councillor Adam Allan to a group meeting recently to talk about local road and access concerns.
Gold Coast Peer Support Group
The QDN’s Gold Coast Peer Support Group for people with disability held their first meeting on Friday 11 June 2021 at the Southport Community Centre. The meeting was well attended with 16 people with disability joining the meeting both face to face and online.
- Caboolture Peer Support Group focuses on the NDIS4th November 2021Caboolture Peer Support Group focuses on the NDIS The Caboolture Peer Support Group have had a focus on the National Disability Insurance Scheme and disability services in the Caboolture community. Matt McCracken, Group Convenor has been facilitating these important conversations and has invited Max Wise, Assistant Director-General, Disability and Seniors Connect, from Department of Seniors, Disability Services and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Partnerships to their September ... Read More
- QDeNgage Disability Awareness Training1st October 2021QDeNgage Disability Awareness Training Kat (QDN Project Officer) and Elisha (QDeNgage Disability Consultant) joined the volunteer crew from Brisbane City Council’s Environment Centres at the lovely Downfall Creek Bushland Centre for our latest Disability Awareness Training. Eleven participants took part in the training, sharing stories, knowledge and experiences supporting people with disability to access and participate in their service centres. The conversation was kind, considered and ... Read More
- Peer Support Groups join Redcliffe Sunday Markets1st October 2021Peer Support Groups join Redcliffe Sunday Markets Deception Bay and Redcliffe Peer Support Group members and Group Convenors joined the @RedcliffeMarkets (https://www.facebook.com/RedcliffeMarkets) Redcliffe Sunday Markets on Sunday 28 September to talk with the local community about QDN and their peer support groups. The group had a fantastic day filled with conversation and laughter. They provided information about QDN projects as well as the Peer Support Groups and heard from local community ... Read More
- Gympie Peer Support Group are helping people with disability prepare for emergencies2nd September 2021Gympie Peer Support Group are helping people with disability prepare for emergencies Michael Condon, Gympie Peer Support Group Convenor has been active in the Gympie community, meeting with service providers and people with disability to promote the peer support group. Michael is passionate about the... Read More
- QDN Sunshine Coast Peer Support Group meeting2nd September 2021QDN Sunshine Coast Peer Support Group meeting The Sunshine Coast Peer Support Group hosted another great meeting at the Millwell Road Community Centre. These meetings are a led by people with disability and are an inclusive place for people with disability to get together.... Read More
- Emerging Leaders workshop – 18 August 202125th August 2021Emerging Leaders workshop – 18 August 2021 The Emerging Leaders held a workshop on Wednesday 18 August 2021 with guest presenters Kevin Cocks AOM, Executive Manager, Accessible Transport Network at Transport and Main Roads, Margaret Ward housing and... Read More
- Meet Angela Kalantzis and Martin Broad– QDN Emerging Leaders18th August 2021Meet Angela Kalantzis and Martin Broad– QDN Emerging Leaders Angela has a passion for supporting people with disability who slip through the support service gap. When she had her accident several years ago which left her with a brain injury, Angela reflects that she felt she was released from hospital way to soon. The day after her accident Angela was sent home without the option to go into the brain injury rehabilitation unit or information on other support networks.... Read More
- Good things happen when a QDN Peer Support Group and local councillor come together17th August 2021Good things happen when a QDN Peer Support Group and local councillor come together The Brisbane North Peer Support Group have been leading change in their Nundah community. The peer lead group for people with disability invited Councillor Adam Allan to a group meeting recently to talk about local road and access concerns.... Read More
- New Peer Support Group coming to Redcliffe17th August 2021New Peer Support Group coming to Redcliffe Queenslanders with Disability Network and Group Convenor Cody Skinner, of the Redcliffe Peer Support Group, met with the Redcliffe community on Wednesday 28 July 2021, to host two community conversations with people with disability and stakeholders to talk about how we could work together to form a Peer Support Group in the area.... Read More
- QDNY youth group finds out the why, what, and where for COVID-19 vaccinations17th August 2021QDNY youth group finds out the why, what, and where for COVID-19 vaccinations The QDN Youth peer support group met in July to discuss COVID vaccinations. Troy Hakala from Metro South Health was the guest speaker and presented information around several topics:... Read More
- Brendon consulting for Smart Ticketing16th August 2021Brendon consulting for Smart Ticketing Brendon Donohue, from Brisbane, has been participating as a QDeNgage consultant on the Accessibility Stakeholder Working Group for Translink’s Smart Ticketing project. This group is working with the Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads to provide advice and feedback on the accessibility and inclusivity of the new ticketing system.... Read More
- New peer support group in Brisbane South21st June 2021New Peer Support Group in Brisbane South QDN held its first meeting in Brisbane South Supported Independent Living complex. The first meeting attracted six enthusiastic residents who contributed many ideas and suggestions of activities and themes they would like to explore in the group. The group will reconvene in a month to pick up the conversation and look to nominate one or two residents to take on the Group Convenor role. The establishment of a Peer Support Group within a supported living ... Read More
- Gympie Peer Support Group21st June 2021Gympie Peer Support Group Group Convenor Michael Condon invited Gympie Mayor, Glen Hartwig, to join the Gympie Peer Support Group on Friday 4 June 2021 for a walk through the central Gympie high street, Mary Street. The group took the opportunity to talk with the Mayor about what is great about Mary Street for people with disability as well as where there are some accessibility challenges. Some of these areas include getting around shop signs on the... Read More
- First Redcliffe Peer Support Group Meeting15th June 2021First Redcliffe Peer Support Group Meeting We were delighted to welcome 8 members along to the inaugural Redcliffe Peer Support Group meeting on Friday 13 August at Redcliffe library. We braved masks and maintained our social distance to hold a fantastic first meeting discussing all things future Redcliffe Peer Support. After Group Convenor Cody Skinner welcomed the group with a unique and beautiful acknowledgement of country in auslan and English language, the group worked together to identify ... Read More
- Caboolture Peer Support Group6th May 2021People come together in Caboolture The Caboolture Peer Support Group meets on the last Saturday of every month at the Caboolture Sports Club. Matt McCracken, Group Convenor does a great job bringing people with disability in the Caboolture community to... Read More