Human rights and advocacy are fundamental to our work. Under the United Nations Convention on the Rights of People with Disability, we work to ensure our community promotes, protects and ensures the full and equal enjoyment of all human rights and fundamental freedoms by all persons with disabilities, and to promote respect for their inherent dignity. We believe advocacy plays a key role in ensuring the voices of people with disability are heard and our rights are upheld.
We believe it is important that people with disability can access independent individual, citizen and systemic advocacy. We believe systemic advocacy, led by people with disability is critical in working with organisations, Government and systems to identify issues and co-design potential solutions.
Submissions and consultations
Ensuring people with disability have a voice on issues that affect them is at the heart of what we do.
We know that an inclusive community where people’s rights are front and centre is critically important. We know that there is significant work and policy, practice and legislative changes needed across a broad range of issues to ensure human rights and advocacy by and for Queenslanders with disability.
Some of the submissions we have made around this include:
- QDN Submission to Social Isolation and Loneliness Queensland Parliamentary Committee 2021
- QDN Submission to National Disability Strategy 2020
- QDN Submission to National Disability Strategy Outcomes Framework 2020
- QDN Response to National Disability Services Act Amendment (Steamlined Governance) Bill 2019
- QDN Response to National Disability Agreement Review 2019
- QDN Submission to Reshaping the Disability Services Act 2018
- National Disability Advocacy Framework July 2015 (Accessible Version)
Current key issues and work
- Gympie Peer Support Group October meeting – Getting ready for an emergency or disaster
- Have your say: Help Transport and Main Roads (TMR) assess how accessible and inclusive their services, products, information and infrastructure are for customers.
- Media Release: Disability inclusive and disaster resilient Queensland Communities: Toolkit and Resource Showcase
- Stage 2 Covid-19 restrictions lifting this afternoon
- Register now – Get Ready, Plan Ahead Gold Coast Workshops