Emergency Relief – where you can go

We know that for many Queenslanders, COVID-19 is having impacts on people’s lives in different ways.  There is help available for Queenslanders in need. Our friends at QCOSS have put together some helpful information about where you can go for emergency relief, to address basic needs in times of crisis.

  1. Oneplace is an online community service directory for Queenslanders looking for support, ranging from food relief, domestic and family violence support, homelessness support and much more.
  2. The Queensland Government has an interactive map for their Emergency Relief Program, which provides financial and/or material support to Queenslanders in financial crisis. Supports include food vouchers, food parcels and more.
  3. The Department of Social Services directory also has a list of current emergency relief grants available throughout Queensland. Simply type in your postcode and you will see a list of services available in your area.
  4. Ask Izzy can help you find the services you need, now and nearby. It is free and anonymous, and you can search services to find food, housing, healthcare, counselling, legal advice, and much more. Simply type in your suburb and it will show a list of services available.
  5. OzHarvest food rescue and delivery vans are collecting and delivering food in certain locations throughout Queensland. Some areas are being impacted by COVID-19, so visit the website for more information.
  6. St Vincent de Paul Society has had to change some of the ways they are delivering community services but are still offering emergency relief to Queenslanders, including food drops. Deliveries are being left in a safe space with no direct person-to-person contact. Their call centres are still open, and some support centres are still operating via phone. For assistance, call their helpline on 1800 Vinnies (1800 846 643).
  7. If you are an older Australian, the Australian Department of Healthhas released a fact sheet for assistance with food and meals. If you are in urgent need of support, you can call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 and they can refer you directly to these services in your local area.
  8. Many people with debt are feeling overwhelmed. With the onset of the COVID-19 epidemic, these feelings will only increase. If in debt, call the National Debt Hotlineon 1800 007 007 for this free, independent service.

For more COVID-19 information you can visit the Community Door or QDN’s Covid-19 hub.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *