The Brisbane Hot Topics Peer Support Group is a group for people with an intellectual disability, run by people with an intellectual disability and has been running for over 20 years. Group Convenor Donna Best hosts monthly meetings from QDN’s Spring Hill office with an option to join via zoom.
The Brisbane Hot Topics Peer Support Group talk about a range of topics including health services, getting prepared for an emergency and how to talk to the media. The Hot Topics group also regularly meets with similar self-advocate groups in Canada online.
The group meet on the last Friday of the month at QDN’s office, 338 Turbot Street, Spring Hill and online.
Call QDN on 1300 363 783 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more about these meetings.
- People with disability want support to make their own decisions3rd June 2022People with disability want support to make their own decisions The Brisbane Hot Topics Peer Support Group was featured in the Royal Commission Connect Newsletter this month. ‘People think I am not capable because of my disability’ but ‘they should talk to me instead of going behind my back.’ Eight people with intellectual disability from Brisbane peer support group ‘Hot Topics’ shared their views on choice, control and decision making at a co-designed focus group with the Royal ... Read More
- International Day of People with Disability online event – Summary Report10th February 2022International Day of People with Disability online event – Summary Report Self-advocates leading in a post-COVID world Almost one hundred (100) people with intellectual disability from around Australia, Canada and even America, came together on International Day of People with Disability to talk about how they use their voices to lead in a post-COVID world. The webinar was a collaboration from people with an intellectual disability from Brisbane Hot Topics Peer Support Group, Gold ... Read More
- Peer Support Group Updates20th January 2021Peer Support Group Updates Group Convenor Training Days 15 and 16 October 2020 On 15 and 16 October, Group Convenors from across Queensland came together for two days of training in Brisbane. Across the two days convenors explored topics like transformation leadership and capturing digital stories. Convenors heard from representatives from the National Disability Insurance Agency and Every Australian Count to keep up to date with changes around the National Disability Insurance Scheme. These ... Read More
- QDN Local Support Groups videos launched25th November 2019QDN Local Support Groups videos launched Recently at QDNs Annual General Meeting, two digital stories were launched for the first time to celebrate QDN’s local support groups work to inform, connect, lead and influence people with disabilities in local communities across Queensland. The digital stories showcase QDNs peer groups and the work of peer groups across the State. QDN has 20 local support groups, operating ... Read More
- Why Come Along To A Local Support Group?28th October 2019Why Come Along To A Local Support Group? QDN has 20 Peer Local Support Groups in communities across Queensland that meet in person and virtually. The groups are led by people with disability for people with disability. Hear from QDN’s Local Support Group Convenors about the benefits of being part of a peer network and why you should come along in the below video. ... Read More
Submissions and consultations
"In the last 22 years we have done some amazing things that a group of people with intellectual disability were told could never do. Now look at us! We’re connecting with self-advocates in Canada and the world."