We’ve been talking a lot about Independent assessments, and we aren’t stopping just yet.
Since our last update, The Commonwealth Joint Standing Committee on the NDIS has decided to conduct an inquiry into independent assessments under the NDIS.
The committee is now inviting submissions from people with disability, families, and carers; allied health professionals; and representative organisations.
Submissions that provide information about individual cases or complaints can help the committee to find broader issues for investigation.
The Committee will pay attention to:
– the development, modelling, reasons, and justifications for the introduction of independent assessments into the NDIS
– the independence, qualifications, training, expertise, availability, and quality assurance of assessors
– the appropriateness of the assessment tools
– the use of independent assessments for access to, and eligibility decisions, as well as to determine what might be reasonable and necessary support
– exemptions, reviews, and challenges to their use including for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, those living in regional, remote and very remote areas, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and people with particular disabilities
– opportunities to review or challenge the outcomes of independent assessments
– any other related matters.
You must provide your submission by 31 March 2021.
QDN will also be providing a submission if you want to contribute to this. Please contact QDN by email at email@example.com or by phone on 1300 363 783.
If you need more time, you should contact the Joint Standing Committee on the National Disability Insurance Scheme. You will find the contact details below:
Joint Standing Committee on the National Disability Insurance Scheme.
PO Box 6100
Canberra ACT 2600
Phone: +61 2 6277 3083
Fax: +61 2 6277 5829