The Brisbane South Peer Support Group is a group for people with disability, run by people with disability. Group Convenor Michael Fisher hosts monthly face-to-face and online meetings via zoom.
The Brisbane South Peer Support Group talk about a range of topics including consumer rights, National Disability Insurance Scheme including plan management and support coordination. They have had a range of guest speakers including QDN member and Queenslander of the Year, Dr Dinesh Palipana who talked about his experience of disability and becoming a doctor, and his work at the hospital during a pandemic.
The Brisbane South Online group meets on the second Thursday of the month online with Zoom.
The Brisbane South Face-to-face group meets on the second Saturday of the months at the Coopers Plains Library.
Call QDN on 1300 363 783 or email email@example.com to find out more about these meetings.
“Joining a QDN Peer Support group can have many benefits. Peer Support Groups are a great way to help us connect in these troubled times and possibly make new friends. They provide a chance to listen to other people’s stories, to tell your own story, to share information and to hear from guest speakers who talk on a variety of subjects.”
Mike Fisher, Sunnybank.
- Sunnybank Peer Support Group return to face-to-face meetings with a change of name – Brisbane South Peer Support Group!19th October 2021Sunnybank Peer Support Group return to face-to-face meetings with a change of name – Brisbane South Peer Support Group! After an extended period of only being able to meet online due to covid restrictions, the Sunnybank Peer Support Group came together for their first face to face meeting on 9 October 2021. The group have been staying connected via zoom but have not been able to return to the library until now. Convened by Mike Fisher, at this meeting the group discuss future ... Read More
- New peer support group in Brisbane South21st June 2021New Peer Support Group in Brisbane South QDN held its first meeting in Brisbane South Supported Independent Living complex. The first meeting attracted six enthusiastic residents who contributed many ideas and suggestions of activities and themes they would like to explore in the group. The group will reconvene in a month to pick up the conversation and look to nominate one or two residents to take on the Group Convenor role. The establishment of a Peer Support Group within a supported living ... Read More
- Peer Support Group Updates20th January 2021Peer Support Group Updates Group Convenor Training Days 15 and 16 October 2020 On 15 and 16 October, Group Convenors from across Queensland came together for two days of training in Brisbane. Across the two days convenors explored topics like transformation leadership and capturing digital stories. Convenors heard from representatives from the National Disability Insurance Agency and Every Australian Count to keep up to date with changes around the National Disability Insurance Scheme. These ... Read More
- QDN Local Support Groups videos launched25th November 2019QDN Local Support Groups videos launched Recently at QDNs Annual General Meeting, two digital stories were launched for the first time to celebrate QDN’s local support groups work to inform, connect, lead and influence people with disabilities in local communities across Queensland. The digital stories showcase QDNs peer groups and the work of peer groups across the State. QDN has 20 local support groups, operating ... Read More
- Why Come Along To A Local Support Group?28th October 2019Why Come Along To A Local Support Group? QDN has 20 Peer Local Support Groups in communities across Queensland that meet in person and virtually. The groups are led by people with disability for people with disability. Hear from QDN’s Local Support Group Convenors about the benefits of being part of a peer network and why you should come along in the below video. ... Read More
Links to come. Watch this space!