The Cairns Peer Support Group is a group for people with disability, run by people with disability. Group Convenor Wayne Maitland hosts bi-monthly meetings in Cairns.
The Cairns Peer Support Group talks about a range of topics including local services and supports, planning for an emergency and the National Disability Insurance Scheme.
The group meets monthly on the last Thursday of the month at Rights In Action, 88 Abbott St, Cairns City QLD 4870.
Call QDN on 1300 363 783 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more about these meetings.
Introducing Wayne Maitland, the Cairns Hot Topics Peer Support Group group convenor.
"I've gained leadership skills to help me achieve my goals towards equality and fairness and I have become an expert at Zoom now." Wayne Maitland
“It’s a great learning experience to be a member of the peer group for all ages. QDN offers great training to the Convenors which is a good thing.”
Wayne Maitland, Cairns.
- Group Convenor Profile – Wayne Maitland28th July 2022Wayne Maitland Cairns Peer Support Group Why did you join QDN? I want to make a difference . I wanted to have an impact and use my previous work and life experience to help others speak out and make a difference. QDN enables me to do just that around the issues that impact people with disability. What has been good about becoming part of the group? Being part of something bigger, friendship, being out in the community and being able to communicate with others and share issues or ideas on ... Read More
- Peer Support Group Wrap up – March 20223rd June 2022Peer Support Group wrap up – March 2022 QDN team members, Olivia and Kat went to Far North Queensland! Olivia and Kat spent a week in Far North Queensland supporting our three Peer Support Groups, building and broadening local community connections and awareness of the work of QDN’s Peer Support Groups. Over the week they supported three peer groups meeting with 17 QDN peer group members and over 40 community service providers and 3 regional councils. They connected with new ... Read More
- Cairns Peer Support Story3rd August 2021Cairns Peer Support Group Story The Cairns Peer Support Group met this month to discuss Person-Centred Emergency Preparedness. The group was co-facilitated by Group Convenor Wayne Maitland who shared his personal experience with preparing for an emergency. Cairns Regional Council’s Disaster Management Resilience Officer, Sioux Campbell, joined the discussion and planning session providing invaluable local information around Council’s disaster and emergency planning resources including ... Read More
- QDN Local Support Groups videos launched25th November 2019QDN Local Support Groups videos launched Recently at QDNs Annual General Meeting, two digital stories were launched for the first time to celebrate QDN’s local support groups work to inform, connect, lead and influence people with disabilities in local communities across Queensland. The digital stories showcase QDNs peer groups and the work of peer groups across the State. QDN has 20 local support groups, operating ... Read More
- Why Come Along To A Local Support Group?28th October 2019Why Come Along To A Local Support Group? QDN has 20 Peer Local Support Groups in communities across Queensland that meet in person and virtually. The groups are led by people with disability for people with disability. Hear from QDN’s Local Support Group Convenors about the benefits of being part of a peer network and why you should come along in the below video. ... Read More
Links to come. Watch this space!