Member Update: Have your say – Reshaping the Disability Services Act 2006
As Queensland transitions to the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS), the Queensland Government are reviewing the Disability Services Act 2006 to ensure there are laws in place to reflect the changing landscape of how supports for people with disability are funded and delivered across Australia.
The Queensland Government’s role in the disability sector may also change. Their primary focus will be championing accessibility and inclusion of people with disability within the community. QDN also believes Queensland government will still have a role in supporting the many people with disability across Queensland who will be not eligible for the NDIS.
The Queensland Government wants your input on proposed changes to the Disability Services Act 2006, to ensure it continues to meet the needs of Queenslanders with disability, their families, carers and support providers well into the future.
How to have your say:
The Queensland Government has developed a range of suggested changes that could be made to the Act, and they want to find out which of these proposed changes are important to you.
You will find the proposed changes detailed here:
Accessible Options Paper (Word): options paper: accessible version.
Easy Read Options Paper (Word): options paper: easy read version (DOCX, 40KB).
Part A of the options paper asks for your feedback on how government can ensure Queensland laws best acknowledge the rights and abilities of people with disability in our community. It contains ideas for changes to the legislation around 3 key areas:
- strengthening the rights of people with a disability
- improving accessibility to mainstream government services
- strengthening partnerships between government and community.
Part B of the options paper asks for your feedback on aspects of the quality and safeguards under the NDIS. Specifically, the paper contains ideas for options to change the legislation in relation to worker screening.
How to have your say
To get involved, read the options paper and give us your feedback.
You can provide feedback by:
- attending a forum – register here: https://www.communities.qld.gov.au/disability/disability-services-act-2006/reshaping-disability-services-act-2006#forum
- completing an online survey: https://queenslandcommunities.engagementhub.com.au/reshaping-the-disability-services-act-2006#newsTab
- emailing a formal submission to firstname.lastname@example.org
- mailing a formal submission to:
‘Feedback on the Reshaping the Disability Services Act 2006options paper’
Strategic Policy and Legislation
Department of Communities, Disability Services and Seniors
GPO Box 806
Brisbane QLD 4001
- sending your feedback to inform the QDN submission. Email your feedback to email@example.com by Thursday 1 November 2018. Please call Karin Swift on 1300 363 783 if you would like to discuss further
Please submit your feedback by Friday 9 November 2018.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.