Keeping well during flu season
Coming into the flu season the Queensland Health have developed fact sheets in response to Queensland’s free flu vaccination to all Queenslanders.
Why is it important to get a flu vaccination?
- Annual flu vaccination is recommended for everyone over 6 months of age.
- Vaccination is the best way to reduce the risk of getting flu.
- You can’t hide from flu. Both the flu virus and COVID-19 are circulating in our community.
- The flu virus has the potential to make people very sick, requiring hospitalisation and in some cases can cause death.
- Your best protection against flu is to get vaccinated; and remember to stay home when you are sick.
- The flu vaccine is safe and effective.
When can I get a free flu vaccine?
From 24 May 2022 until 30 June 2022, the Queensland Government will be offering free influenza vaccinations to all Queenslanders over 6 months of age who are not already eligible for free vaccination under the National Immunisation Program.
Those eligible under the National Immunisation Program include:
- children aged between 6 months to under 5 years of age
- people aged 65 years and over
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged 6 months and older
- pregnant women
- people over 6 months with a medical condition that can lead to complications from the flu.
- If you are eligible under the National Immunisation Program you should access your vaccination through your local General Practitioner or community health provider.
Below are the links to the influenza fact sheets: