e-Blast: Helping more Queenslanders with Disability join the NDIS
The NDIS has made a difference in the lives of over 55,000 Queenslanders with disability. With the current COVID-19 public health emergency, now more than ever, vulnerable people in the community will benefit from accessing the NDIS. There are many more people eligible who have not yet accessed the scheme. They may have experienced challenges in accessing the NDIS, be trying to understand the scheme and deciding if it is for them, or need additional assistance organising their paperwork and information.
Do you know someone who…..
- may be eligible for supports through the NDIS?
- might be vulnerable, isolated and needing support – especially in the current environment of COVID-19?
- needs extra help with getting their paperwork together for an NDIS Access Request?
- has applied to the NDIS and had their access request denied, and think the decision is wrongs
- may need a functional assessment for their NDIS access request, but may not have the money to do this?
QDN, QCOSS, ADA Australia and the Queensland Government are working together on a project to ensure as many Queenslanders with disability as possible are supported to access the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS). This work is called the Targeted Outreach Project.
You know the people and your communities best, and we want to work with you to identify those people with disability in your community who are harder to reach for a range of reasons, or who have had additional challenges in meeting NDIS access requirements.
QDN and our partners want to connect with people with disability and community organisations.
We can work directly with people with disability, families, local community organisations and voluntary groups and provide ways to:
- learn more about the NDIS and understand the supports the NDIS can provide to people with disability
- use interactive accessible resources like board games and bingo to help understand the NDIS and ways it can support people
- understand the NDIS scheme eligibility criteria
- access free and practical individual support to apply for and join the NDIS through regional Assessment and Referral (ART) teams
ART are small multi-disciplinary teams in the Department of Communities, Disability Services and Seniors who provide intensive case management to support people with disability through the NDIS access process from start to finish. ART can support NDIS applicants in:
- collecting and preparing information
- filling out and sending NDIS forms
- discussing disability related needs with doctors and specialists
- providing functional assessments where needed
- keeping track of the NDIS access request until the process is finished
QDN and project partners, QCOSS and ADA Australia are currently delivering online and over-the-phone assistance. We will be working in the following communities during April, May and June:
- Caboolture, Moreton Bay region
- Sunshine Coast and Hinterland region
- Maryborough, Fraser Coast, region
Contact Us Now
Call QDN on 1300 363 783
Email QDN at email@example.com