Our Values and Beliefs
Value statement on people with disability
QDN’s work in providing feedback and input into systemic policy issues is based upon the organisation’s core values and the place of people with disability in an inclusive, Australian society.
QDN believes that:
- All people with disability have a right to a place in the community and have contributions to make to community. This is as empowered, free citizens who are as valued, present, participating and welcomed as members of any dynamic and diverse society.
- The place of people with disability in the community is not just about people with disability having a house in the community. Core to this is that they are welcomed in the community as ordinary citizens where they are genuinely given opportunities to contribute and actively participate. People with disability need to be in communities where their individuality, their talents, and their lived experiences of disability are recognised and acknowledged.
- Culturally and historically, people with disability are not afforded the same value, opportunities or access to community life.
- Any inclusion in community for people with disability is conditional and vulnerable to withdrawal.
- Many people with disability in Queensland are excluded from the most basic experiences of ordinary lives.
- Current exclusionary practices are unacceptable and must be challenged.
- These issues affect not only people with disability but the whole community.
- The responsibility is shared. It lies within government (federal, state and local) and the community at large, to ensure that people with disability have a place and are resourced to belong in community.
Authentic Voice – We are with, and for, all people with disability and ensure those with limited or no voice are heard and valued.
Collaborative Action – We work together to learn from the collective experiences, values and wisdom of people with disability.
Rights – We believe in, and model, a human rights approach that recognises disability as a social issue.
Respect – We value human difference and diversity and build mutual respect through openness and fellowship.
Resilience – We are hopeful, even about the most complex challenges and are here for the long term.
We acknowledge culturally and historically, people with disability are not afforded the same value, opportunities, or access to community life as other citizens.
We work to ensure people with disability can claim their rightful place in community life where they:
- are welcomed, valued and present;
- have opportunities to live full and equal lives;
- have a home of their own in their preferred social context;
- have access to personalised supports that enhance their lifestyle;
- have opportunity to move around their neighbourhood;
- are participating and contributing members in social, economic and political life of their community;
- have their gifts and talents recognised;
- have their lived experience acknowledged;
- have natural authority to influence the direction of their own lives;
- are entitled to all the rights afforded to citizens of Australia.
Our mission, motto, values and beliefs drive the work of QDN and help us decide which issues to take up, and where to best direct energy and resources. They also help us decide which issues and activities we don’t do.
- We are with and for people with disability and ensure those with limited or no voice are heard and valued.
- We work together to learn from the collective experiences, values and wisdom of people with disability.
- We believe in and model a human rights approach that recognises disability as a social issue.
- We value human difference and diversity and build mutual respect through openness and fellowship.
- We are hopeful, even about the most complex challenges and are here for the long term.
To promote and maintain active, vibrant networks that inform our work.
To let people know about the lives of people with disability and how to best talk with us.
Influence governments and others to bring about full and equal participation and citizenship.
Grow an effective, sustainable and accountable organisation that reflects our values, vision and mission.